Monday, February 28, 2011

Thyroid Cancer: Surviving the Low-Iodine Diet

For many thyroid cancer patients, a major challenge to overcome is the notorious low-iodine diet. This special eating plan is usually implemented weeks prior to radioactive iodine treatments, which follow a thyroidectomy. The idea is to starve any remaining thyroid cells of iodine so that radioactive iodine (RAI) will be consumed and, thus, remaining cells ablated.

The process can be a grave obstacle for anyone preparing for this treatment by fasting iodine. Why? In the 1920s, the American government thought it would be a good idea to add iodine to salt to prevent goiters and other iodine deficient diseases. Because of this, most salt contains traces of iodine. The fasting of iodine becomes a fasting of salt for the patient, even though sodium is not iodine.

Iodine-free salt can be found in grocery stores. When I had to fast iodine two years ago, I went to three different grocery stores before finding an iodine-free salt. I couldn't eat bread, dairy, fish, sauces, salad dressings or anything that contained salt in the label. If salt is listed on a product label, it is not guaranteed the salt used is iodine-free and, in fact, chances are high it is not.

An iodine-free diet also means avoiding egg yolks, red dye, and anything served in a restaurant. Everything has to be made at home with salt-free butter and iodine-free salt. Luckily, there is a low-iodine cookbook available online. The problem with an iodine-free diet: salt seems to be the only thing that tastes good, especially to one who can't have it!

Throughout history, salt has been an important element. It has been the subject of myths and superstitions, mentioned in folk tales, and even incorporated into religious ceremonies. It has even served as currency or offered as etiquette for guests in some cultures. In ancient Greece, slaves were traded for salt. Have you ever heard the expression "not worth his salt?"

Egyptians used salt in mummification and considered it so important they painted murals about salt-making. The Hopi Indians would fast salt in preparation for important ceremonies to please the Sun god. Roman soldiers were paid with rations of salt known as salarium argentum, a Latin term that gave birth to our word "salary." Early Christians were taught to be the "salt of the earth." The word "salvation" is derived from the word "salt."

Even today, salt is a major part of myths, tradition and religion. Buddhists believe salt repels evil spirits. Jews dip bread in salt in remembrance of a past tradition of using salt in temple offerings on the Sabbath. The Catholic Church uses salt in purifying rituals. These purification ideas give rise to the rituals in most pagan communities to banish deviant spirits or ghosts from a place by laying down salt. Shintos use salt to clean an area of bad energy. India uses salt for good luck. And the Pueblos still worship the Salt Mother.

It is believed the production of salt gave rise to cities and even wars. But why was salt so important? It's a fact that salt makes up nine percent of the body. Salt aids in proper nerve conduction, in the passage of nutrients into cells and in the maintenance of blood pressure. Salt also helps maintain proper blood volume, blood pressure and pH of body fluids. It also contributes to many body functions including acid-base balance, muscular activity and the movement of water between fluid compartments, thus, it is essential for the digestion of food. With such an important role in the body, it is no wonder the two major tastes for humans are sweet and salty. Humans crave salt as a built-in survival mechanism.

The hardest part of my iodine fast was the ban on pizza. Despite the wonderful recipes in the low-iodine cookbook, I couldn't find good ideas for pizza substitutes. After completing radiation, I bought a whole pizza and ate the entire thing myself! I was like a ravaged and crazed addict. On the other hand, this diet proved to be one of the best challenges in my life because it forced me to change some bad habits. This diet made me trade chocolate (yes, chocolate contains iodine), potato-chips and popcorn for bananas and unsalted nuts. I learned to eat healthier as a result.

After three weeks on my iodine fast, I felt a lot better. Because I was eating only fresh, healthy foods, my body became depleted of all the junk food my "busy schedule" allowed me to justify eating every day. I lost a few pounds and had more energy. As a result, I have actually kept a lot of the low-iodine diet-particularly the avoidance of non-processed foods-as part of my daily nutritional plan. It takes a lot longer to prepare my meals without them but is worth the effort. Processed foods are those items mostly found in the aisles or frozen food sections of the grocery store, usually packaged in cans, boxes or bags. Not surprisingly, they also dominate the menus of most drive-throughs and restaurants.

Not only do I save money by not eating out as much, but my diet is much healthier. For the most part, I eat a lot of fresh fish or chicken, steamed vegetables, and superfood shakes. Of course, I do allow myself two junk meals or treats a week! I've learned that depriving myself of junk foods and treats make them crave them all the more- causing indulgence.

No comments:

Post a Comment